Saturday, July 25, 2015

The Art of Architectural Photography 7-25-2015

There are two types of people: those who reread books, rewatch movies and TV shows and, in general love to peel back layers and layers of surface meaning to find new meanings.  And there are those who see it once and move on.  Nothing wrong with that, but I'm one of the former.  I could watch a movie like Moonstruck or Babette's Feast or Key Largo and so many others over and over again.  The characters in the plays of Ibsen, the poetry of Frost (narrator) and the Agatha Chrystie mysteries (even though I KNOW how it ends!) become dear friends and companions.  That is how I am about art and architecture.  To see a treasured painting or a building about which I am passionate repeatedly lends new meaning to the work.  Every time a see an artwork I love, I view it anew.

The statue of Atlas at Rockefeller Center in Manhattan always surprises and mesmerizes me.  It is perfect in its lines, power, balance and form.  To look at negative space as well as the mighty bronze sculpture, is to see a wondrous encapsulation of the City's complexity and style.  Look through the  delicate and massive globe towards the fragile, elegant and hopeful spires of St. Patrick's Cathedral to realize a stunning composition.

This image is not new for me or many others.  However, each time I see it its aesthetic is breathtaking.


Black and white Architectural Photography
To learn more please visit:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlas_%28statue%29
http://www.roamingdownunder.com/revisiting.php
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Patrick%27s_Cathedral_%28Manhattan%29

No comments:

Post a Comment