Friday, March 20, 2015

The Art of Architectural Photography 3-20-2015

Most of us have heroes, role models, and others whose work has influenced us.  I mentioned Atget previously, but I come back to his work over and over again. The body of work that Atget left for us bespeaks of Paris and his feelings for the city so many years ago.  The romance of Paris and the beauty that Atget adds to Parisian streets with his genius of capturing the atmosphere through photography shines in every street scene Aget created. The sepia tones that Atget preferred underscore the enchanting and timeless view of the streets of early 20th century Paris that Atget loved.  Sepia gives the stone and wrought iron edges a softness and allure that is singular.  And to that end, Atget was a master at giving his subjects an artistry that transcends time and place. To me, photography is just that: capturing and adding=creating.  Throughout my journey as a photographer, I have added to the scenes, architecture, product and other subjects that I photograph, capture and make my own in post production.  Atget's guidance has given me much in the way that I approach my photography. Granted, Atget used sepia tones because that WAS photography, along with black and white, in the years he photographed.  I use sepia and black and white because I think it brings out forms, focuses ultimately on subject without the diversion of color and sepia may just replicate some of the magic of the early days of film.

On a street in Potsdam I saw this stately building.  Immediately I was drawn to the architectural details. The timeless grandeur and attention to architecture detail struck me as very majestic.  Later, in post production, I noticed the vivid cloud reflections in the windows.  These contrasted well with the solid stone and metal of the building.  This sepia architectural photograph illustrates my influences and my heroes.  As an architectural photographer, I incorporate the reality of the subject and the sum of my abilities, influences and vision into my photography.     


Sepia architectural photography

To learn more about early sepia photography visit:

No comments:

Post a Comment