Tuesday, April 7, 2015

The Art of Architectural Photography 4-7-2015

Art is all about seeing forms, textures, design, composition, line and other aesthetics that spark imagination and intrigue.  I find that when photographing architecture,  the camera's lens allows me to notice details that may be unapparent when I simply look at a structure.  Further, when I download my images to my computer, there are frequently wonderful surprises.

One day last fall, I visited the New York Zoological Society or, as I've always referred to this fascinating place, the Bronx Zoo.  As a child, I journeyed to the Zoo a few times from Brooklyn, quite a distance away.  In those years, the three-subway-train-trip was quite an outing.  Later, when I  married and moved in with my Bronx native husband, you could find me at the Zoo at least twice a week: sketching and photographing the architecture, animals, landscaping and even the visitors.  The Zoo was and remains a magnificent example of late 19th Century ingenuity and sublime space in an otherwise crowded and sometimes downtrodden NYC Borough.

I walked through cobbled or intricately paved paths that are fringed with an abundance of lovely shrubbery and topped by towering ancient trees of many varieties.  Birds and small animals, such as chipmunks roam freely about.  Here and there buildings that are splendidly constructed with stately lines and a wealth of stone carved ornamentation appear.

This building is majestically welcoming.  As I walked towards it I saw architectural details from another age.  Currently these are eschewed as unnecessary or much too costly with which to facade buildings.  Another great surprise was looking up in the interior of the building: a decorative BRICK ceiling!  The fancy brickwork, alternating with the circles of translucent glass create a design that is both aesthetically pleasing and superbly crafted.  Although I have admired this ceiling many times, I always appreciate it anew.  Brickwork today is often found in sheets of brick facing.  How marvelous to see bricks used so creatively!


Black and White Architectural Photography

Sepia Architectural Photography


 To learn more about the New York Zoological Society and Brickwork visit:

 http://www.nytimes.com/1992/07/19/realestate/streetscapes-the-bronx-zoo-animal-house-landmarks.html


http://www.free-ed.net/free-ed/Resources/Trades/carpentry/Building01/default.asp?iNum=0704

http://www.buildingconservation.com/articles/brick/brickwork.html

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ellen! I've been a bad blogger, not reading other bloggers, hardly blogging myself. Hopefully coming back to the fold. Politics, my forte, are numbing my mind. Not sure I can stand another election. Nothing changes.
    Love the shots, particularly the sepia. What a beautiful place this must be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for stopping by: so glad you did! I hope you get to see this remarkable place. It brings so much beauty and calm to the visitor. The architecture and planning of the entire space is truly extraordinary.

    ReplyDelete