Monday, May 20, 2013

A Chance Encounter

On a day last week I was out photographing the sights in NYC.  I had carefully planned the day and was glad to see the weather report was favorable: wrong..... After the commute and the subway ride with 15 pounds of gear and other bags, etc, I arrived in a lovely Greenwich Village, a quaint part of town to light showers.  I was prepared with an umbrella, but not delighted as the showers turned to rain.  After a calming cup of soup (weather was also to be 65 degrees and topped out at 48), I set out to capture what was left of the afternoon.  I shot 250 photographs, several of which were really nice!  The adrenaline was taking over!
Heading back to the subway, cold, damp and weary, I looked up as I descended into Rush Hour.  To my great surprise I saw these figures watching over the scene.  Well worth my trip to capture whimsy in the NYC subway!


NYC Subway



Subway Whimsy

2 comments:

  1. What a great story about you exploration and how things didn't go as planned. It reinforces my belief that instead of trying to force things to go our way or being disheartened because our plans have been thwarted we can use it as a point of departure and trust the universe to lead us to a new discovery.

    I especially enjoy the close up image. I like the juxtaposition of the organic forms with the geometric horizontal and vertical elements; the icing on the cake for me is the the two rows of rivets. I like how they occupy the foreground and lead my eye up past the figures into the background.

    You composition and the vignette complete the image. I would love to have a copy of this hanging in our home. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! Your comments mean a great deal to me.

    I am always amazed by "what comes up" in life. When I was a student I allowed a few opportunities to slip through my fingers. It didn't take me long to realize that paying attention and being open to discoveries may be more valuable at times than a prescribed course of study.

    Seeing the little statues was a thrill because I love surprises like that! I think I was among 80-90 people in the subway in that short time it took to shoot a few snapshots. Not another person whom I noticed looked up. I was so appreciative for the chance to enjoy these little guys that I returned a few days later even though it was an hour out of my way. Small wonders are worth revisiting!

    ReplyDelete