Friday, May 23, 2014

The Art of Architectural Photography 5-23-2014

So much of photography involves seeing and the personal connection to that which is seen.  Throughout my life, I have been captivated by many sights, some familiar and some new to me.  Frequently I notice these in passing.  Other times I seek out certain buildings or structures. For example, when I am in Manhattan I never fail to take time to admire the Empire State Building.  It appears as a sentential, rising from midtown to announce its presence over NYC.  Other architecture, such as the Royal Swedish Opera House in Stockholm or the Villa Borghese in Rome, were marvelous to see while I was traveling and their magnificent architecture remains fixed memories of beauty and grace. 
As a child, I repeatedly accompanied my Mother to the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens. Perhaps it was there that my seeing was honed. I return to this day to see the  genius architecture of nature in the many flowers, trees, leaves and the McKim, Mead & White magnificent design for the main BBG buildings erected in 1917.  The Japanese Gardens, rose gardens and other wonderfully planned spaces of the gardens still draw me to Brooklyn. There are other attractions at the BBG, too. The Children's Garden, which celebrates its 100 year was where I learned to plant and to appreciate the earth's bounty. The lessons that influenced so many aspects of my photography were cultivated early on in Brooklyn. I am grateful that currently my family also includes the Gardens as a source of inspiration and tranquility, as well as a font of learning just as I did and still do. 
My family and I are delighted to be referenced in a Wall Street Journal article about the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens' Children's Gardens.  


Sepia photograph: Brooklyn Botanic Gardens, Brooklyn NYC
 

 To learn about my and my family's relationship with the BBG, especially the Children's Garden visit:
 http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303409004579562232711084704?mg=reno64-wsj&url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB10001424052702303409004579562232711084704.html

No comments:

Post a Comment