Sunday, June 1, 2014

The Art of Architectural Photography 6-1-2014

Architecture can be as simple as a cube.  A box that is functional and will stand the test of time.  On the other hand, architecture may be devised as an elaborately detailed statement by the architect.  Of course, a cube is a statement in itself and the modernists of the Bauhaus certainly presented cubes as a most beautiful design form.  The clean lines appeal to many as a conceptualization of clear and uncluttered space.  Bauhaus architecture greatly appeals to me, but I also love architectural eye candy that more ornate genres of architecture incorporate into design .

Architectural eye candy are the embellishments of glass, stone carvings, brick patterns and the like.  Visually metal architectural jewelry delights me.  The fanciful or bold uses of iron, steel, copper, bronze and even precious metals like gold and silver add an ornamental aspect to interiors and exteriors of buildings that creates another dimension to the architecture. 

In this hallway, the wrought iron railing carries the eye down the stairs yet punctuates the space with a complex and open design.  The repeating curves and swirls of the iron compliment the round and arched window frames.  The many elements of architecture in this sepia architectural photograph are enhanced by the emphasis on lights and darks.

Architectural sepia photograph: NYC

To read more about ornamental railings visit:

 http://www.nytimes.com/1994/03/24/garden/where-to-find-it-iron-shows-its-flexibility.html

 
http://www.theforgerofny.com/iron_works/ironwork_history_and_glossary.html

6 comments:

  1. Wow! So much movement in one image. I love the framing and the way the railing leads me down to the floor where the triangular tiles reinforce the stair steps. Amazing that you were able to capture so many geometric forms in one image; circles, rectangles, squares and triangles that carry the eye all around the image.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Nick! The shapes really caught my eye, too. Surprisingly this was taken in the back hallway of a museum building. I was going down the stairs to see an exhibit when I was captivated by the artful architectural details!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Nick. The movement downward is obvious; not obvious to me are the triangular tiles and their relationship to the stairs. It helps so much to have someone make these discoveries. Of course, I bet you had it in mind all the time. My husband loves to act off-handed when I observe something in one of his photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Debbie! The tiles, for me, create, as Nick says, a type of frame or "end" to the image. But they also echo the diamond patterned grill work in an almost subliminal way: pointing the eye to another repetition of form. I always loved triangles as shapes, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not all that analytic when it comes to images, being that I lean towards the visceral side as an observer. For me: "Structure=Light / Light=Structure" and I'm glad you "hit the button" when you did!

    Thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Will! For me, light is everything in the image!

    ReplyDelete